Pages

Snag a Button

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Santoku and Utility--My favorite kitchen friends!



What is a Santoku---???? It's my favorite knife along with my utility knife. I feel like Rachel Ray when I smash my garlic and peel it like a champ! If only I could cut as fast as she does!! My mom gave me these two knives and I love them! They will go where I go, live where I live, maybe not sleep where I sleep, but you get the picture! I don't own the paring knife(the smaller one), but with the other two, who needs it? I just thought everyone would also enjoy the detailed description of the Santoku--plus, now you know a new word and can sound very smart saying it!!

Santoku description from Calphalon:
"Combining features of a chef's knife and a cleaver, the Santoku is an all purpose Asian-style knife that's ideal for cutting meat, fish and vegetables. The word santoku means "three good things" - a reference to the three cutting tasks it performs so well: slicing, dicing and mincing. The Santoku is designed with kullens, or indentations along its edges, which reduce friction and prevent food from sticking to the blade. The knife also serves as a spatula as you cut, removing cut foods quickly and easily from the cutting surface."

No comments: